A consignment of 10 vintage motorcycles has been added to the docket for Worldwide Auctioneers’ inaugural Pacific Grove Auction, scheduled for August 17 on the Monterey Peninsula.
“We’re delighted to have been entrusted with the sale of this tightly focused and expertly curated collection of two-wheeled legends, assembled over the years by a true enthusiast,” John Kruse, Worldwide Auctioneers managing partner and auctioneer, said in a news release.
“The Allen Smith Collection includes some of the most significant early American motorcycles, as well as icons from pre-and post-war Britain, all offered for sale entirely without reserve.”
Worldwide called Smith’s 1903 Indian Camelback “a museum-worthy example of the world’s fastest motorcycle for 1903 and the first Indian chain-drive production model.” The award-winning bike was “stunningly restored by vintage motorcycle expert Bradford Wilmarth,” the auction company noted.
Wilmarth, winner of the 2010 Cannonball coast-to-coast race for pre-1929 motorcycles, also restored Smith’s 1914 Henderson Model C Four.
Other American-produced motorcycles from Smith’s collection going to the auction are:
- A 1906 Thor Single board-track racer formerly owned by Bill Melvin; A 1910 Pierce Four.
- A 1913 Flying Merkel, also restored by Wilmarth.
- A 1914 Henderson Model C Four, among the first Hendersons with transmissions and another restoration by Wilmarth.
- A 1916 Excelsior Auto-Cycle.
- A 1919 Cleveland Single formerly owned by Melvin and featuring a “Strap Tank” configuration and livery.
- A 1921 Cleveland Single that was invited to be shown at the 2008 Keeneland Concours d’Elegance.
Among British bikes consigned for the auction are :
- An unrestored, ex-Steve Klein 1939 Brough Superior SS80.
- A 1954 Ariel Square Four Mark II, among the first powered by Ariel’s 995 cc “Four Pipe” Mk II engine and a bike restored by Chuck Walton.
Worldwide said its inaugural sale on the Monterey Peninsula will include about 70 cars and motorcycles. The auction will be held at the Pacific Grove Golf Links.