Some say that being a car guy or gal is a blessing that makes life worth living. Others say it’s a sickness.
But whether you love the style, the speed, the camaraderie or just the smell of hot exhaust, being car people often defines who we are, and it sets us apart from people who just don’t get it. Or the poseurs who just pretend to get it.
Whatever your interests – muscle cars, sports cars, antiques, classics, customs, cruisers or something weirdly arcane –one thing is for certain: you share your passion with gearheads across the board.
So how do you know if you are a real car guy or gal? Take the ClassicCars.com survey to find out.
Answer the following questions yes or no:
1. Have you ever owned a convertible?
2. Have you ever owned a classic or collector car (not a daily driver)?
3. Have you ever bought an impractical car just because you thought it was cool?
4. Do you ever take the long way home just to spend more time with your car?
5. Do you know how to drive stick shift?
6. Have you ever been to a collector-car auction?
7. Have you ever bought or sold a vehicle at a classic car auction?
8. Have you ever attended a concours d’elegance or other type of organized car show?
9. Do you have vintage-car pictures, posters or other car art in your home or garage?
10. Have you ever had more cars in your family than drivers?
11. Have you ever brought a car to a repair shop just to make it a little bit nicer?
12. Have you ever owned a sports car?
13. Have you ever driven on a race track?
14. Have you ever attended a major car race?
15. Have you ever named a child or a pet after Shelby, Fangio, Gurney, Enzo or another car person, make or model?
16. Do you perform any repairs on your own cars?
17. Do you own a relatively complete set of car-repair tools?
18. Do you know how to adjust ignition points?
19. Have you ever restored a car?
20. Have you ever customized a car?
21. Do you subscribe to one or more car-buff magazines?
22. Do you regularly scroll for-sale listings looking for cool cars to potentially buy?
23. Do you ever dream about cars?
24. Are cars a major topic of conversation when you gather with friends?
25. Has your significant other ever admonished you to stop talking about cars with your friends?
Now count up your “yes” answers to learn the truth about yourself.
0-5 – You’re a bus rider
5-10 – You don’t know a Ford from a Ferrari
10-15 – You experience cool cars vicariously
15-20 – Jay Leno wants to be your Facebook friend
20-25 – You must have motor oil in your veins