Once again, a modern Ford GT sports coupe led the bidding at a Mecum auction, this time a red-and-white 2005 example that hammered for $270,000 at the Anaheim, California, sale. Mecum achieved total sales from its fourth annual Southern California auction of $13,853,225 as 416 cars went to new owners.
The second-highest seller was one of the stars of the auction, a rare factory-supercharged 1957 Ford Thunderbird F-Code, one of just 211 produced and fully restored to original, that sold for $185,000 (Mecum results do not include auction fees). Finished in bronze paint and upholstery, the T-bird features a 300-horsepower V8 boosted by a McCullough/Paxton supercharger.
Following the Thunderbird were a 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 fastback, $170,000; a 1979 Ferrari 308 GTS, $162,500; and a 2008 Ferrari F430 Spider that tied with a 2013 Bentley Continental GTC Mulliner Edition at $145,000. Other notable sales included a 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 427/400, $130,000, and a 1963 Volkswagen 23-window microbus that showed the sustaining values of these little vans (especially in Southern California) with a sale of $125,000.
The top 10 sales for the Mecum Anaheim auction were:
1. 2005 Ford GT at $270,000
2. 1957 Ford Thunderbird F-Code at $185,000
3. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 fastback at $170,000
4. 1979 Ferrari 308 GTS at $162,500
5. 2008 Ferrari F430 Spider at $145,000
6. 2013 Bentley Continental GTC Mulliner Edition at $145,000
7. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette convertible at $130,000
8. 1963 Volkswagen 23 -window bus at $125,000
9. 1969 Shelby GT500 convertible at $122,500
10. 1956 Chevrolet Nomad resto-mod at $115,000
(Results do not include auction fees)
Mecum returns to Austin, Texas, on December 11-12 for its second annual auction at the Austin Convention Center with 600 vehicles expected to cross the block.