Photos by Steve Purdy
Local farmers and we few photographers appreciated the intermittent light rain that fell all morning, albeit for entirely different reasons, but the organizers and participants in the Cars ‘R’ Stars show… not so much.
Formerly known as the Carnival of Cars, this show, officially Cars ‘R’ Stars at the PPG, supports the goals of the Packard Motor Car Foundation and its efforts to preserve, develop and maintain the historic Packard Proving Grounds, located some 22 miles north of Detroit.
Opened in 1927, the Packard Proving Grounds was a marvel of technology and beauty in its day with buildings designed and built by the most prestigious architect of the era, Albert Kahn. Historic buildings remain, as does the tall water tower and a section of the test track that includes the historic timing tower.
Attendance of both participants and spectators for the show and swap meet suffered because of the weather this year, but there were enough vehicles to bring you some fun photos, especially of the featured historic commercial vehicles.
For more on the foundation’s effort to preserve the proving grounds, see www.PackardMotorFdn.org.