Smithfield, Virginia, may be most widely known for the ham it processes, but its history dates to the early British exploration of the New World. Those who in 1607 settled the Jamestown colony sailed up the wide James River past the area where, just a year later, Capt. John Smith traded beads for 30 bushels of corn to help feed the starving colonists.
But it was a different Smith, Arthur Smith IV, who gave his name to the town he founded in 1752 by subdividing farmland. He plotted out four streets and 72 lots for homes and businesses just inland from the point where the Pagan River adds its flow very near the mouth of the James River. Continue reading